Saturday, September 23, 2023

Wedding ceremony


I'm still grateful to God for a failed marriage. 

Who knows?, I may have been battling with frustration by now. 

I remember the day mama came to visit my aunt along with the picture of her son, Harrison, who resided in overseas. She said he had asked her to get him a wife from the village. 

I was delighted when she mentioned my name. The guy was handsome, tall, huge and to crown it all, he has money!. What more could a woman pray for in a man?

"Hannah would make a good wife for my son... she is hardworking, educated and most importantly, beautiful. My son loves beautiful women oo". She had said.

On my way  to work the next morning, I dropped by a studio to take a picture of me. I made sure it was a perfect shot.

The picture was  forwarded to Harry that evening.

Mama came to the house the next morning to announce that Harry loved what he saw. 

I was happy. One of my dreams was about coming to reality. I think oversea will favor my carreer. I heard there are better opportunities for nurses out there.

He sent money through his younger brother, Gideon who resided in town and my marriage rite was performed without delay. 

Gideon stood in for him. 

My papers were delayed after Harrison called that he would be coming back soon. 

According to him, he needed to see his mom, spend some time with me in Nigeria and we would fly back together. 

The arrangements was okay by me, at least, I won't be bored in my first  flight.

I moved in with Gideon in town and was helping out in the family business.

I waited patiently for Harrison but he always come up with excuses. 

Days turned to weeks, weeks to months, then year.

I was getting impatient but Gideon would always be there with comforting words.

He finally came back two years after with a heartbreaking news. That I'm not his spec

"She is a beautiful girl, no doubt, but I love my women dark and plumpy'. He had confessed.

It was then that it dawned on me that I have been used. Gideon had once told me how mama had been the one pressuring Harrison to get married. 

He must had agreed to marrying me so the old woman would let him have peace.
No wonder he kept me waiting.

What kind of a man was he?, hurting one woman to impress another, playing with someone's feeling.

He made it clear that the only reason he came back was to start his marriage preparation  to the one he cherished, who was also staying overseas.

He later apologized to me for the inconveniences caused and offered me a huge amount of money. 

Yes, I was hurt, I wasted two years of my life waiting for a man who was busy playing games with his family, but I was not going to lose both sides. I took the money and moved on with my life. My aunt was there to comfort me.

From the money, I was able to better my life and that of my father's family.

I remarried a year later to a man who adored the ground I walked on. He is my best friend and I still wondered what my life could have been had I not met him.

I still thank God the first marriage failed...it was never meant to be.

Happy 10th anniversary to us.

The end

No comments:

Post a Comment

Live no man's life

10 BENEFITS OF BITTER KOLA ( GRANACIA KOLA)

10 HEALTH BENEFITS OF BITTER KOLA CONSUMPTION AND ITS USES BITTER KOLA THE AFRICAN WONDER NUT: HEALTH BENEFITS AND ITS USES This article sum...